Saturday, October 16, 2010

THE LIBERATED TABLE TOPPER

For the past month, I have been working on what has become a table topper for Halloween.  My fabric choices were from Minick and Simpson (love them!)....




for some reason, this fabric reminds me of being in grade school during Halloween....I love it so much.

Being inspired by Gwen Marston, I decided to let this " become"as it evolved...no patterns or preconceived ways it should look.  I started with the phrase "Happy Halloween."  I drew those free-hand, scanned and then printed as a mirror image.  That got traced to my freezer paper and then ironed onto the fabric.  THis is so easy to do when the husb and son are watching football.   Then, I put the project away for awhile.


One inspired Saturday,I began to play with the fabric.....fussy cutting here and there.  I really just played with making different shapes.   I eventually ended up with a number of pieces for a table topper.   I pinned all the pieces to my background fabric and took it to my friendship group meeting for DMQG and received positive feedback.  I was  excited to continue.


I added fusible webbing (Seam2Seam) and then appliqued all the pieces to a piece of fabric.  My sewing machine foot went crazy on me during this time and I had to order another one....work got busy....project put away for awhile.......


Finally finished appliquing the pieces to the background fabric.  I then added a two inch border of Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley (basketweave, I believe)....

Here is the finished project before quilting





This has been so much fun creating....now on to quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment