Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Doll Quilt Swap

Last night we had our first Doll Quilt Exchange with our DMQG small group.  It was so fun.  The instructions for the quilt were to make one that reflected who "you" (the sewer) are.  As we exchanged we explained our inspiration and if we had to change or improvise on our original idea.  Most of us did not end with the original idea intact....as was the case in mine....
This is my Doll Quilt:

Photo provided by Joellen at Just Say Sew








My inspiration: Redwork, vintage illustration of a child (I collect them), Mary Englebreit (black fabric); reproduction, retro fabric; puppies; primary colors (red, yellow, black) and polka dots.  I originally envisioned pin wheels around my embroidery but it proved too involved for me to complete....so I went to Plan B....

This is my quilt label.....(of course I put it on upside down!)





Here are the other quilts:


Susan's quilt (http://thequiltasylum.com/)....received by Joellen..

Susan's inspiration: MoMo "It's a Hoot" fabric, triangles, paper piecing, liberated square, box in box square...
Look at the quilting awesomeness!!!!


Sarah's quilt, received by Christy

Sarah's inspiration: her valentine's birthday...note the hearts, and wonkiness, black and white and rick rack, fussy cut designs of her favorite things!




Janet's quilt, received by Sarah
Janet's inspiration: her pink and green wedding :)   and daisies, applique and rick rack!
 Christy's quilt, received by Susan
Christy's inspiration: needle turn applique, batiks, hand quilting

Joellen's quilt  http://justsaysew.blogspot.com/    (received by ME!)


Joellen's inspiration: roosters, applique, 3d quilting, her connection to friends, MoMo "It's a Hoot" and polka dots! 

Notice the chicken wire quilting!

 Look at this awesome back:



I love them all....and hearing and comparing the inspiration to the finished product was sooooo enlightening! We had a great time! :)

Pam, one of our members, showed us her first finished quilt that she pieced and quilted herself using the Kate Spain Fandango....(deja vu @ http://retromamaramblings.blogspot.com/2010/12/grinchiness.html).    It was beautiful and she did an awesome job.  Unfortunately, I don't have pics of that (Boo!).....Can you go wrong with Kate Spain fabric?  I don't think so.  We love you Kate Spain!


Girls!  I had a great time and can't wait for the February swap!

P.S.  My Santa was featured on Feeling Stitchy (blushing)...http://www.feelingstitchy.com/2010/12/christmas-countdown-25-happy-christmas.html


3 comments:

  1. I want to move to Plano just to be apart of your friendship group! LOL looks like y'all had fun! Our group still hasn't had a meeting :(
    SUCH beautiful work you ladies did!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! Thanks for coming by my blog and joining the Christmas club, I'm very glad to have you aboard - I tried to email a reply to your comment, but you came up as a no-reply. I love your blog - I want to live in Bedford Falls too! I used to live in Dallas, back in the 80's - Plano, Garland, Allen and McKinney. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it now! I love your doll quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April...you are welcome to join us! and Allie...I've put your info on my blog and latest post!

    ReplyDelete