Sunday, September 11, 2011

NEVER FORGET



On September 10, 2001, I along with many other parents and teachers headed to Oklahoma to chaperone  my daughter's 5th grade class for a week of camp.  There was so much anticipation for that day and that morning was full of laughter, smiles and excitement....CAMP.....FUN....OUTDOOR SCHOOL!  Happiness is how I would describe it.

The next day, of course, the terrible tragedy of 9-11.  The decision was made to stay at camp but not tell the students about the horror the nation was witnessing.

The last night we were there, we celebrated with a bonfire and smores.  It was a beautiful night...the sky was full of stars and I remember wondering what was going to happen to all of us....what kind of world were we facing?  I wanted to bottle the innocence I had around me.

  When we got back to Texas on Friday, September 14th, the parking lot was full of parents.  Stricken is the only word I know to describe the way they looked.  The smiles were gone....only anxiousness to reclaim their children.  Our world had changed forever.

Never forget......

No comments:

Post a Comment