Saturday, June 11, 2011


In the three weeks since my last post I have dealt with a kitchen leak the size of Niagra Falls which necessitated all new plumbing underneath the cabinet...which led to a new sink....which led to a new counter top which led to a microwave which led to a new oven...

And then there was the fight with mustard algae in the pool

And I had double ear infections....

And my daughter is back for the summer which means laundry just got ugly..... all of that free, uninterrupted time, I decided to make a purse. 

I started sewing a year ago and thought it would be a good way to hone my skills....little did I know!

I started with a vintage piece I had picked old clothes pin bag.....

I read many blogs to try and understand how to proceed...these bloggers were particularly helpful:

I used this pattern from Sew Mama Sew

but did not try to make it reversible...

Also, the book  Stitch by Stitch (by Deborah Moebes) was invaluable.....

I started with strip piecing Swell fabric (jelly rolls) together....then I cut out those pieced strips out using the pattern  from Sew Mama Sew...

I sewed the remaining pieces to my vintage piece and then cut it out using the pattern from Sew Mama Sew....

I used yardage from the Sweet line to make the lining...

Things were going good...The outside pieces went together beautifully...I then put batting on each and free motioned quilted each to do my box pleats....

I measured two inches from the side....drew my line and cut....Did I say cut before I sewed the line.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Me after initial realization.....

I JUST CUT A HOLE IN MY "soon to be" PURSE!!! Did I scream?  Look at the clips below to get an idea of my despair!

So, how do I fix it?  Since I had already quilted these pieces, I just recut and quilted some pieces and added them as you would on the "quilt as you go" method.  I added the pieces on with my zig-zag stitch.

I made the handles with two different Swell fabric designs.  I sewed one piece on interfacing and then the two together...

This website was invaluable on an easy method on turning the pieces inside out and on sewing the lining to the outer fabric.... it first bag:

The vintage clothespin holder...cut and pieced

Back view with Swell Fabric (Moda/Urban Chicks)

I took it with me this past weekend and I love it...the handles are perfect as is the size of the get out of your comfort is well worth it!


  1. It turned out so cute!! You did a great job and I love the fabric that you put with the vintage piece. Thanks for sharing the links as well.

  2. Great recovery, and the bag turned out really well (love the graphic). The structure of a purse can be challenging, so i think you're making great progress with your sewing skills.

    I've been sewing for 50 years, and I constantly make silly errors like this. Actually, the way I manage to creatively work around these mistakes is a source of pride for me.

  3. Thank you so much Joellen and Martha! seems like I am constantly trying to fix my mistakes...grrrrrrr! I am so happy I was able to salvage this.

  4. Cute, cute, cute! As much as it hurts, sometimes I learn so much more by making those kinds of mistakes. The blessing is in the ability to recover and grow in problem solving, they can't teach that!

  5. Thank you Juanita! We missed you at the DMQG meeting last Thursday. Remember...our small group has an opening! :)